Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Let's Reflect On DNA ~ My DNA

My kids and I are the bear den ... 

I got Ancestry DNA Kits over 5 years ago, for my (then) husband and I.  It was our "anniversary" gift - for each other.  Basically I bought my own gift and called it ours - I mean - let's be real....  

The results, when they hit, I thought were so fucking amazing!  Mostly because it confirmed the fact that I'm Irish.  But I mean - the rest was cool too.....  called myself the "whitest white girl ever" ..... Total European blood going on here.... 

Through the years - the "results" have adjusted and changed based on newer tests and being able to test different things.  So it's been interesting ... over the years ....  watching it change.  I get more Irish and it makes me so happy and then bam ... it changes again!!   Then I am Scottish too and I'm thinking .... Oooooooooohhhhhhh .. yes please! 

So - the tests have changed percentages and added things here and there..... 

I also got my son's Calahan and Noah tested - their father my first ex husband ... hasn't done an Ancestry DNA test and likely won't...  so I felt it was important to get them tested first. 

Kaedyn has expressed wanting his done - so I have kept it in mind and for Mother's Day - while the kits were on sale (almost half off) ...  I got three more.  One for Nathan, one for Kaedyn, and one for Noah's girlfriend Melly who was "adopted" through the foster care system. 

Melly got put in the foster system around the age of 7, I won't say why.  She was then later adopted.  I won't get into the crap she went through - but needless to say, she has disowned her adoptive family.  She does know her birth mom and some of her family.  She'd like me to do her family tree.  However that's going to take her mom giving up information.  

Also - when I did Noah and Calahan's tests, I got a test for my boyfriend Larry.  

So this is what my results looked like when I got them in 2016

These are my results now.... 


Vastly different.  

They also added a new feature where you can from which parent you got what ...  


I figured out - based on what I know about my ancestry - and the others that I did - that Parent #1 is the Sperm Donor and that Parent #2 is the Egg Donor.  And it's going to be like that with everyone because if they did switch that shit up it'd be too fucking confusing ... 

So my Irish comes from my Dad - no shock there, my grandmother (his mother) is supposed to be full Irish.   I did get a sliver of Irish from my Mom's side.  

German is a split, I got 10% from my Dad and 17% from my mom.

Norwegian is not a shocker - my Great Grandmother - my Mom's Dad's Mom - was full Norwegian.  Her name was Olga - how much more Norwegian can you get? 

The English is a 5% (Dad) 9% (Mom) split ...  

I got all my Scottish from my Dad

And Sweden & Denmark is 1% my Dad and 3% my Mom .... 

And those are the ingredients that made me!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming over to my side of the tree :) Comments are always welcome and appreciated!